The Forest Operations Team are responsible for the sustainable management of the Welsh Government Woodland Estate to meet accreditation under UK Woodland Assurance Scheme and ISO14001 and to deliver Sustainable Management of Natural Resources. The team covers management of the Welsh Government woodlands in the Mid-South (West) area from Aberystwyth in the west to Llandovery in the east. These comprise a diverse mix of upland and lowland blocks including north and mid Tywi, Cwm Berwyn, Lampeter, Cross Inn, Tarenig, Myherin and the Ystwyth valley.
The role of the Senior Officer is key in developing tactical plans to deliver annual operational programmes. This requires working closely with teams within NRW as well as suppliers, customers and stakeholders to ensure that these plans are delivered on time as well as to meet qualitative standards and value for money.
The individual will be expected to:
- Develop tactical five year plans covering clearfelling, thinning as well as conversion to Low Impact Silvicultural Systems (LISS), restocking, establishment and maintenance programmes.
- Produce annual budget profiles in collaboration with the Team Leader and regularly report on progress.
- Assess proposed strategic Forest Resource Plans to ensure delivery of a wide range of objectives to meet UK Forestry Standard.
- Support the wider team in terms of management of operations where required.
- Take ownership of managing sub-compartment data.
- Manage specific projects when required.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate self-motivation and innovative thinking.
If you would like to have a site visit to discuss the role as well as seeing the working environment, please contact us (see contact details for Marius Urwin below).
Must have full UK driving license.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Deliver technical advice for specific sector or technical issues.
- Deliver work plans, and delivery of agreed actions to contribute to business planning.
- Participate in NRW technical groups.
- Interact with peers in NRW to promote consistent industry and specialist subject practices.
- Have responsibility for direct delivery of delegated programmes.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
You will have:
- Professional membership, or at least working towards such accreditation of their related subject, within an agreed timescale.
- Experience of working across a wide range of land management disciplines.
- Knowledge of sustainable forest management, UKWAS and forest certification schemes.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Good understanding of commercial business processes and pressures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with regulated business and the public, explaining complex issues and gaining support by influencing.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of all aspects of forest practise, including, forest planning, forest operations.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note – Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
|Essential Knowledge and Skills||
|Evaluation of Information||
|Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements||
|Communication and Relationships with Others||
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.